Info/ analysis/data needed to decide on interventions
For small scale public space (eg, school), the question or information needed are:
- Which horizontal surfaces in Ward 5 could be used for rainwater harvesting?
- What is the total water consumption of the public space?
For large scale public space (several households), the roof surface of a public building, space available for storage tanks are needed to consider.
Possible locations, based on on-site knowledge and engagement with the ward officer, YCDC and the community:
- YCDC compound
- possibility to use piped water and rainwater
- intensive engagement with YCDC is needed!
- near the retention lake
- possibility to use water from the lake
- close to the informal settlement area
- other location within the ward, e.g. on the main road
Community asset Mapping via Mid-point Survey & Series of Workshops
Main Objective: Finding the interest in the communal water supply systems and raising awareness
Result outcomes: Among the total respondents of 121, 27 are from the Direct group, 26 are from the General group and 66 are from the Exposed group.
- Direct – People who have had frequent contact with the project team including workshops, implementation support, committee members etc.
- General – People who were involved in our Household and Business Survey at the beginning of the project + IDoNation donation survey/program
- Exposed – All other residents of Ward 5
- What do you use rainwater for (if you use it)?
- Would you like to have an RWH system? Why and Why not?
What most of the respondents mentioned are;
- The preferred lowest price range of less than 300 000, but most weren’t sure of how much one costs normally
- Financial difficulty
- Not a big concern
- Don’t know how
- Not enough space
- Concerning not sufficient for the whole year
- Would you prefer a communal or individual RWH system?
According to the results, over 50% of the respondents from all of the three groups prefer communal rainwater harvesting systems but they mentioned that they have a concern that supply would not be sufficient for the whole year.
- Would you use a water kiosk where you can buy water?
Network Development Planning (similar to HH RWH system and find out more information here.)