Sustainable Water Management Challenge
In an era where sustainable water management is paramount, our project, “Hydropurify Rainharvest,” addresses a crucial issue related to drought and the lack of clean water that has affected Bali in recent times. Hydropurify Rainharvest uses the concept of rainwater harvesting, which is an eco-friendly solution for replenishing our water resources. However, common rainwater harvesting often faces challenges like pollution from debris, leaves, and other contaminants. Our innovative solution aims to purify collected rainwater to provide a sustainable source of clean water for the public bathrooms in Lapangan Puputan Renon.
Ensuring Hygiene in Public Spaces
Lapangan Puputan Renon serves as a vibrant public space where people gather for exercise and community activities. Access to clean and safe water is essential for maintaining proper personal hygiene, particularly through handwashing, which plays a crucial role in disease prevention. However, during intense rainfall, contaminants such as tree leaves and debris can infiltrate the water sources used for the public restrooms, posing a risk of water pollution. This issue underscores the need for a reliable purification system to ensure the availability of clean water in public bathrooms, ultimately contributing to a healthier and more sustainable environment for the community.
Innovative Water Purification System
Minecraft video of our solution
Our Hydropurify Rainharvest machine is designed to tackle this problem comprehensively. The process involves several key steps:
- Separation: As rainwater or runoff enters the system, it first passes through specialised filters designed to trap solid waste materials like plastic, leaves, and other contaminants. This initial filtration step ensures that larger debris is removed, preventing it from entering the water purification system.
- Isolation: Once these trapped materials are separated from the water, they are directed to a separate tank or collection area. This isolation step effectively prevents debris from re-entering the water supply and ensures that it can be easily collected and disposed of in an environmentally responsible manner.
- Filtration: The collected rainwater then undergoes a secondary treatment phase involving a sophisticated filtration and purification system. This advanced process is crucial in ensuring the water is thoroughly cleaned and safe for various uses. During this stage, contaminants such as pollutants, sediments, and microorganisms are removed, guaranteeing that the water meets high-quality standards.
- Result: Through our advanced filtration and purification process, the Hydropurify Rainharvest machine produces clean, high-quality water that can be used in public bathrooms at Lapangan Puputan Renon. The purified water contributes to better personal hygiene, mainly through handwashing, thereby significantly preventing the spread of diseases in the community.
Sustainable Debris Management
In addition to providing clean water, our project is environmentally responsible. The debris and contaminants separated during the filtration process are brought to an above-ground storage area. This waste can be easily and efficiently collected and transported to the proper disposal site, ensuring minimal environmental impact and maintaining the cleanliness of the system.
- Clean and Safe Water Supply: The project ensures a continuous supply of clean water for the public bathrooms, promoting proper hygiene practices and reducing the risk of waterborne diseases.
- Environmental Sustainability: By removing and isolating contaminants, the system contributes to a healthier environment and reduces the ecological impact of rainwater harvesting.
- Community Health: The project directly enhances the health and well-being of the community by providing access to clean water, which is fundamental for personal hygiene and public health.
- Technological Innovation: The Hydropurify Rainharvest machine showcases innovative water purification technology that can be adapted to various rainwater harvesting systems.
Paving the Way for a Sustainable Future
Hydropurify Rainharvest is a pioneering project that addresses the challenges associated with rainwater harvesting in public spaces. Not only it provides clean and safe water for public bathrooms but also demonstrates a commitment to environmental responsibility and community well-being. This initiative is a testament to the power of innovative technology in positively impacting our environment and our communities’ health. We aim to see this project replicated in other public spaces, contributing to a more sustainable and health-conscious future for all.
Check our presentation slide below for further details:
Written by (in alphabetical order): Dimas Fathin Mahiswara, Farhan Agus Ferdiansyah, Made Shintya Ayudia Priantini, Norita Febrina Benedicta Panjaitan, Steven Meliaskha Kaban